Wednesday 18 February 2015

This crazy idea turned in to a reality...



Kia ora whanau,

I've been offered my dream job! In March 2015 I will be leaving Aotearoa to live and work in Buka, Bougainville for a 10 month assignment with Volunteer Services Abroad (VSA)

Given that internet is ridiculously expensive in PNG, I've created this blog so that you all know what I'm up to, and so that I can share my experiences and learning curves in a more in depth way than Facebook allows. Some of you may know that I already have a blog (passioninaname.blogspot.co.nz). However, I haven't written regularly or seriously on Passion In A Name in quite a while. Plus, it's a very old blog and I feel like this is a new year and a new adventure. Therefore, this will be my primary blog.

My assignment in Buka is with the Autonomous Bougainville Government (ABG) in Records and Archives Management. Following the civil war of the 1990's, the Bougainville Peace Agreement provided the Bougainvillean people the right to a referendum on independence from Papua New Guinea. The date of this referendum is subject to the implementation of a weapons disposal plan and the ABG achieving an appropriate standard of 'good governance'. The records management system being implemented by the ABG, with the assistance of VSA volunteers, is a key step in establishing good governance in Bougainville and moving towards independence.

So, I will soon be travelling forth to a fascinating and beautiful island in the wider Pacific. I am simultaneously apprehensive, excited, terrified and ecstatic. Thank you for your support, and follow this blog if you want to hear about how I go once I actually get to Buka!

No comments:

Post a Comment